Hi, my name is Helen and I am a qualified Chartered Physiotherapist. I graduated from The University of Birmingham in 2008 and have not looked back since!
On leaving university I went straight in professional sports and joined the team at London Wasps Rugby Club. Here, I was lucky to work within a
world class multidisciplinary team and it was where my love of Pilates was born. In 2010 I completed my Polestar Pilates Rehabilitation course and began to teach both mat and equipment clinical Pilates.
I work with people at all stages of their cancer care - before, during and after treatment, working on keeping exercise a core part of treatment.
My aim is to ensure movement and exercise is accessible at all stages of treatment at whatever level is required to allow the fullest function and quality of life possible.
- Exercise and advice: A Pilates based exercise programme based on your current level of activity, exercise goals and treatment regime. You will be advised on the exercises to do and how often to do it, therefore minimising treatment related side effects and whether group classes are appropriate.
- Post-operative care management: Initial assessment to address soft tissue and scar tightness (including cording), range of movement limitations and progression of exercise to return to exercise/function following an operation.
- Treatment related aches and pains: A comprehensive assessment, diagnosis and rehabilitation programme to address the effects of your treatment on your muscles and joints which may present as weakness, pain, tightness, stiffness, pins and needles/numbness (peripheral neuropathy).
- General musculoskeletal: A comprehensive assessment and rehabilitation programme if you have experienced a loss of strength, deconditioning or a specific musculoskeletal problem.
- Cancer survivor rehabilitation: encouraging ongoing exercise after the initial stages of your treatment through group classes or outdoor activity.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy Birmingham University
- Polestar Pilates Comprehensive Rehabilitation
- PINC & STEEL cancer rehabilitation certified
- NEXT steps group cancer rehabilitation instructor
- Member of Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- Member of Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)